Monday, August 17, 2009

Patience

"Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him . . ." Psalm 37:7


I am currently doing a devotional book entitled, The One Year Book of Hope by Nancy Guthrie, which led me to the scripture in Jeremiah 27:11. I am using the Max Lucado Inspirational Study Bible as my Bible for my quiet time, and the following was the "Life Lesson" from the Jeremiah verse:

"The ability to accept delay graciously. Calmly. Quietly. Understandingly. With a smile. If the robe of purity is far above rubies, the garment of patience is even beyond that. Why? Because its threads of unselfishness and kindness are woven on the Lord's loom, guided within our lives by the Spirit of God. But, alas, the garment seldom clothes us!

Remember the verse?

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace . . .

And what else? The first three are the necessary style along with the buttons and zipper of the garment. The rest give it color and beauty:

. . . patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control . . .(Galatians 5:22-23)

The ability to accept delay. Or disappointment. To smile back at setbacks and respond with a pleasant, understanding spirit. To cool it while others around you curse it. For a change, I refused to be hassled by today's delay. I asked God to keep me calm and cheerful, relaxed and refreshed. Know what? He did. He really did! No pills. No booze. No hocus-pocus. Just relaxing in the power of Jesus."

From Growing Strong in the Seasons of Life by Charles Swindoll


So I have been linked from hope to patience. I found it very fitting for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment